There is a lot of information - and even more misinformation - on how to achieve Meaningful Use. Meaningful Use will be a three stage process. The first stage, Stage I, is all you need to care about until, at least 2013, at which time Stage II may be instituted. With each new stage will likely come an increase in the Meaningful Use criteria.
Fortunately, it really isn't that complicated and you don't need to pay consultants to figure it out for you. Amazing Charts, with our built-in Meaningful Use Wizard™, will markedly reduce the complexity and assist you in reaching Meaningful Use (and all without contributing to career burn-out).
To summarize, below is everything you need to know to achieve Meaningful Use and collect your fair share of the EHR Incentive stimulus money:
- Step 1: Are You Eligible? Figure out if you are an "Eligible Provider" (EP) and whether the amount of money we're talking about is worth the hoops you'll have to jump through (click the Step 1 link, or this quick and easy summary flow sheet).
- Step 2: How Much?
- $44,000 over five years if you collect through the Medicare Incentive program. This is the maximum amount, and to reach it, you would have to collect at least $24,000/year in Medicare reimbursements. In other words, Medicare will pay you up to 75% of your reimbursements, or $44,000 - whichever is less.
- Alternately, if at least 30% of your patients have Medicaid coverage (20% for Pediatricians), you can collect $63,750 over six years.
- Step 3: Implement Amazing Charts V6 (which includes our Meaningful Use Wizard™) and use it for at least 90 days in your practice.
- Step 4: Attest to the proper agency, wait 6-8 weeks, and collect your EHR Stimulus money, and then tell your colleagues how you did this easily - using Amazing Charts.