— Arlene Hubbard, MD, K&H Healthcare
Welcome to our How-To Guide for Users, formerly called the Wiki on our first website. Use this guide to find answers to commonly asked questions about how to use Amazing Charts every day.
Kareo is one of the leading PM solutions being used by Amazing Charts EHR clients. If you are a current user of the popular Kareo PM solution – or you are seriously considering purchasing it – we have great news! Scheduled for release in December, 2013, the new Kareo bi-directional interface will provide a more robust, real-time file-based interface to Amazing Charts EHR. The highly affordably priced Kareo interface will provide a high degree of interoperability for more effective office workflow.
For more than a decade, Amazing Charts has been developing Practice Management file interfaces. We now have more than 80 of these interfaces, providing our customers with a wide variety of choice – from a seamlessly integrated EHR+PM solution to affordable file interfaces for market leading PM solutions. Learn more.
There are two ways to schedule an appointment:
1. You can choose the date you wish to book the appointment. Type the patient's last name in on the main page of the schedule and then highlight the name. You can drag and drop the name to the time slot that you wish. Once you drop the name another window will pop up and ask you what type of appointment you want to schedule. Choose the appointment and select the book appointment button and the patient will appear on the schedule.
2. Choose a patient highlight the name and then look below the box that the patient's name appears in, you will see another box that has select a provider. Pull down the menu and choose the provider you wish to make an appointment with. Another window will pop up the same window as above, giving you the option to choose the appointment and the time. Then just click on book appointment and the patient will appear on the schedule.
1. With your mouse select the patient you wish to remove from the schedule.
2. After you have highlighted the patient look to the left at the bottom of the page you will see the remove patient button. "click on that".
3. A window will then pop up to document the removed appointment. You will have to choose if it was a cancellation or a did not keep appointment.
4. Once you have chosen the right one for the patient you MUST click on the button that says notify the provider.
5. If you do, it will remove the appointment from the schedule and the notification will show up in the providers message box. He will see it and then has to select save to chart so that it can be tracked.
6. If you do not select notify provider and just close out of the window, you will remove the appointment but will not be able to track it.
After the appointment schedule times are set up in the Administrator section, individual appointment times can be "blocked" for meetings and time out of the office:
Use this way to schedule an appointment with a "place holder" for a new patient (name, date of birth, phone number, reason for visit) who might not show up and therefore need not be added to the patient database:
If you are going to create your own super bill, you would need to make sure that the patient is not seeing the Doctor, and is only going to be seeing the Nurse or Medical Assistant, or some unsupervised visit.
1. First you go to your main screen in amazing charts and highlight the patient’s name.
2. Then, on the top of the main screen you need to go to billing.
3. In the drop down menu you click on "Pull Bills By Patient", that will bring you to the last encounter created.
4. About a ¼ of the way down the super bill there is a drop down arrow, you want the one to the left, you then need to drop the menu and choose create a new super bill.
5. Once you create a new bill it will bring you to a different screen.
6. From there you will follow the directions at the top to make sure that the proper place, Doctor, and date are correct, which is numbered 1,2, and 3.
7. #4 is where you would type in the chief complaint. Ex: “Vaccines” then continue on to #5.
8. This is where you would put the cpt code, for example if the nurse not the doctor is giving these vaccines you would enter the 99211 once that is in the box you will see a blue strip that will show up with the explanations of that code, at that point you would double click on that and you will notice that it shows up on the bill at the bottom.
9. Once, that is complete you will continue to repeat the same instructions that you did with the office visit and instead put your code in for your immunizations, and keep doing it until all the vaccines have been logged.
10. If you notice that on the bill the charges are not correct you can change them.
11. Put your arrow in the box of the price delete it out and put your charge in there.
12. Remember, there will be 2 boxes that pop up after that, and will ask you if this is going to be permanent or just for this time. If it is going to be permanent that price code you entered will always be there even when you do the next bill for anyone else. If you are not charging your full price and you are coding down make sure you select do not make this permanent otherwise that lower charge will be saved for that cpt code in the future.
13. Once you finished entering all your codes you will then save the bill.
14. You can pull this bill up two ways:
Highlight the persons name and choose pull patient bill by name. Once, that comes up you can then print it.
Or, you can pull the pull patients bills by date highlight the one you want and print it also.
First you need to bring the patient's chart up that you wish to document in. Put their name in on the main page of Amazing Charts and double click on them.
To document in the sections provided just place your mouse in the box you wish to document and, A: Right click with your mouse to choose the template you wish to use. B: Or place your mouse in the section you wish to document or use your tab key and type what ever you want in that section.
Hint: If you choose to type in the sections and you want to save it as a template just hit your alt key and click your right mouse button and that will let you save that as a template.
You can add a diagnosis to two sections of Amazing Charts. One is on the encounter and the other is on the super bill.
1. Once you are in the patient's encounter to the right of the page you will see a button that has search ICD-9's. Click on that button which will give you another window for you to put in your diagnosis. Once you have found the correct one just double click on it and it will appear on your encounter under the assessment.
2. The other way you can add a diagnosis is on the super bill. You can double click your mouse in the icd9 box to get the window that will pop up to put in your diagnosis. After you put in your new code click the update button for it to appear on the super bill. You can also do this after you sign the note when you first get the super bill you can add a diagnosis before you sign it.
The easiest way is to add a previous diagnosis from this patient. To do this click the drop down arrow that says "Problem List" above the Assessment section. Here you will have a choice of previous diagnoses for this patient. Select one and it will populate the Assessment area
The other way is to search for the ICD9 code. To do this, click on the Search ICD9s button (next to the "problem list" dropdown menu). You may enter either full or partial words or the beginning numbers of an ICD9 code. For more thorough searching, select "contains" in the upper right corner as opposed to "starts with".
You may also Google ICD9 codes from there by selecting Google. Once selected, the ICD9 code with populate the Assessment section
Once you finish a note and sign it that is when you will get the super bill. If you are not sure how to bill the visit look to the top right of the page you will see the button for E&M coding helper.
Click on that button and it will take you to another screen that has 5 questions for you to answer. Answer all 5 questions and then click the code it button at the bottom of the page. It will code your super bill for you.
Then just sign it.
Once all your documentation of the encounter is finished, you just need to click the Sign Note button located on the lower right side of the patient's encounter screen.
After the note of the patient is completely finished, look to the lower right of the page where you will see the sign note button. " Click it"
You will then get the Superbill. Just click your mouse to the left of the CPTs you wish to bill for. It will then appear with the charges at the bottom of the page. If you would like to change the charge for that visit (because the patient has no insurance, for instance), just click your mouse in the charges box you wish to change and put the new charge in, and click the sign button.
A box will then appear asking you if you wish to make this charge permanent. Just click no, so it would be only for that one time visit. If you don't select no it will change your charge permanently.
Some mid-level staff requires co-signing by a doctor.
To set this option, go to Admin Options | Users
Click Edit Exisiting User and select the mid-level provider you want from the drop down menu
At the bottom of the page, click the button for High - Mid-Level Provider and select co-signing provider from drop down menu
Then choose the option of Notes can be signed, then co-signed, or Notes cannot be signed by mid-level
If you select Notes must be co-signed, every note that is signed by that mid-level provider will be forwared into the assigned doctors message box where with a click of the mouse these notes can be co-signed
Warning dialog boxes appear if you try to close an encounter note or message without signing off or forwarding it.
If you close Amazing Charts, or experience an error that closes the program, before saving or forwarding an encounter note, you will be given the option to resurrect your note when you restart the program. This file is saved on the local computer (not the main computer containing the databases) at C:\Program Files\Amazing Charts\LastNoteBackup.txt
If you write an encounter note and close it without signing off or forwarding it, it will NOT be resurrected.
If you delete any message from the Inbox, it will remain in the Messages window "Deleted Items" box until the user logs off or closes Amazing Charts. "Deleted Items" can be found by using the drop down menu above the list of messages in the Messages window.
If you open a message from your Inbox, but don't delete it when it gives you the option, will remain in the Inbox.
If the message is in your inbox, and you open it and choose to delete it from the inbox, once you close it, it will be in the Deleted Items until you log off or close Amazing Charts.
To print any note on a patient the note must be signed off on and the patient must be highlighted.
Just go to the main page of Amazing Charts and select the patient you wish to print the note on. Put their name in and highlight them. Once they are highlighted double click on their name which will bring you to their most recent encounter. If you look at the top of the page you will see a line of tabs to choose from. The tab that says past encounters is the one you want to select.
When you get into the past encounters you will have the choice of the note you wish to print. Highlight the note, it will then appear in the box below it. If you look down at the bottom you will see the button that says print note. click on it and it will print the note.
1. You would need to be on the main page of Amazing Charts.
2. Enter a patient's name and highlight them.
3. Once the patient has been highlighted look underneath their name you will see a picture of a printer. Click on the drop down menu.
4. There you will choose "PRINT ENTIRE CHART".
5. It will then give you a box that needs to be filled out.
6. First type in who you are releasing the chart to. Tab you key to the date then tab your key again to the "signed in chart box", then tab your key again and type why you are releasing them. And select "save".
7. Another box will appear and there you will be able to select and view the sections you want to print.
8. Once you have approved it click on the print button.
9. The chart will then print and it will be automatically documented in the demographics section of the patient's charts.
To import items to a patients chart you would have to highlight their name on the main page of Amazing Charts. You can do this a couple of ways.
1. Highlight their name and right click, which will give you a drop down list, just select imported items and it will bring straight to the imported item page.
2. Double click on their name and that will bring you into their chart. If you look at the top of the chart you will see a tab marked "imported items". Click on that tab and it will also bring you to the imported items page.
(Updated 3/20/10 for version 5)
Note: Images must be saved as .bmp, .jpg or .gif files before importing into an encounter note in Amazing Charts.
To add a photo or image to a patient encounter:
To view a photo previously saved in an patient encounter note:
To print a photo previously saved in an patient encounter note:
First you would need to select a patient and highlight on them. Once, you have done that you can either double click on them to go through their chart to the imported item section or just right click on their name and it will give you a drop down menu, choose the imported items.
Once you are in the imported item section you will see a box to the top left of the screen that says "import new". There you will be able to control your scanner. It will ask you a few questions like are you scanning one or several pages. Choose the right button and then click on scan.
After you have scanned your item another box will pop up letting you import that item to the chart and also letting you put the item under a title, or to add any comments you wish to add to that item.
First you would need to go the the patient's chart by double clicking on their name, or by right clicking on their name once it is highlighted.
1. Choose the imported items.
2. In the imported item box you want to highlight the item you wish to edit and right click.
3. There you will be able to select and edit the item.
Go to Try it Now.
Fill out the form, click on Download at bottom of screen and save the installer to your server or main computer you are running to a folder called called Amazing Charts Update or Installer that is accessible from all of your computers on your network.
Open the Installer or click on Run when it finishes downloading. Follow the Installer wizard steps.
Open the Amazing Charts and follow the Wizard to set you up (you can always go back and manually fill in any information in the Administration section).
On your other computers, instead of downloading from website, browse to where you have the Amazing Charts Installer/Updates Folder and double click on it and follow wizard again to install or update program.
When the Installer asks you if you have one or more computer, answer appropriately and make sure you select the database on the main computer or server. That's it! You are ready to start on Amazing Charts from any computer, just double click on the icon on your desktop.
Share the Amazing Charts folder for use on a network:
Step 1: Double click on my computer.
Step 2: Double click on the c: drive.
Step 3: Double click on program files folder.
Step 4: Right click on the Amazing charts folder select sharing and security.
Step 5: Check boxes for share this folder on network, and check box to allow network users to change files.
Step 6: Click apply the folder will be shared.
Step 7: For some computers you will have to select the security tab and select the names from the list that appear there and on the check boxes that appear below allow full control for each one to be able to change files and do that for every name on the list to completely share out folder.
If you do not see the security tab do not worry about it because it is not a feature for sharing in your version of windows.
Linking workstations to your main database for use on the network:
Step 1: First install the program on the workstation. It will not automatically be there because you installed it on your main computer.
Step 2: Once you have the program installed double click on the amazing charts icon.
Step 3: When the setup assistant comes up and asks you if you are working on a network or connecting to you local database select no.
Step 4: The search window will pop up and allow you to browse over the network. Select my network places, select entire network, and pick the workgroup your computer is in then double click on the computer that has your main database stored on it.
Step 5: Once the computer is open select the amazing charts folder and open it, then select the amazingcharts.mdb click open at the bottom of the dialog box, and it will connect the program to the main database.
Step 6: Repeat steps 1-5 for all other workstations that will be running amazing charts and it should work fine.
If you are not allowed access to any of the computers over your network or it ask you for a password contact the person who works on your network.
To open Amazing Charts from your desktop:
1. Locate the Amazing Charts icon on your desktop and use your mouse to double-click on it.
2. A window will appear indicating that Amazing Charts is starting.
3. Then, you will be prompted to select your user name and enter your password. Click on “Log In” and Amazing Charts will now open.
To open Amazing Charts from your Start Menu:
1. Click on “Start” or the Windows Icon located in the bottom left corner of your desktop. Locate the Amazing Charts program in your list of programs, click on it.
2. A window will appear indicating that Amazing Charts is starting.
3. Then, you will be prompted to select your user name and enter your password. Click on “Log In” and Amazing Charts will now open.
If you subscribe to off site back up below are instructions on how to do it.
Remember backing up your database is probably the best thing you can do to protect your data in case of corruption. Do it everyday regardless of how long you have been using the program with out a problem, because you never know when it is going to happen. Being set back to days,or weeks from today is a nightmare, and you will have to do all that charting to bring your records current so please do yourself a favor back it up!
1. Open amazing charts
2. Once main window of amazing charts opens select view at the upper left of your window.
3. Select administrator options.
4. Put in your password and click log in.
5. Once admin options is open select the off site back up button by clicking on it.
6. Now the off site back up dialog box will appear, select upload files.
7. This will prepare your files for upload, once they are ready it will open an internet page that will take you to amazing charts upload site. This site will have a long skinny window at the top with text in it, this is your database all zipped and ready to go to our server. Now just click upload file securely.
8. Do not close the window before you see the blue message at the top just above the skinny window that says files have been uploaded successfully.
9. Once you get that message you are done, and you close the window.
These instructions are for those users who lose connection to their database, and need to connect back to the main computer (server). It is also for those who need to pull a laptop off a network for use at a remote location and need the program to look at its own local database.
To reset a path in Amazing Charts, just follow the steps below:
1. Click on the start button usually located at the bottom of your computer screen on the task bar.
2. Select all programs, and look for the amazing charts program on the list.
3. Move the mouse cursor to the amazing charts name on the list.
4. When the list expands select amazing utilities by left clicking on it.
5. Once the utilities opens select the reset path button.
6. There will be another dialog box that comes up asking if you are sure select yes.
7. Now the set up assistant will come up click next.
8. Now you will see a yes, and no question. Select yes if your PC is being used as a server, or is the only computer being used. Select no if you are connected to a network and you have a server, or a PC that is being used as the server.
9. Now if you selected yes then your done, but if you selected no a dialog box will come up. At this point you want to select Network places by double clicking on it.
10. Next double click on entire network.
11. Next double click on workgroup computers. (If you have more then one work group listed in the window ask the network administrator which workgroup you are using for amazing charts.)
12. Now you should see a list of computer names, double click on the one that has the amazing charts database on it. (If you do not know then you will have to ask the network administrator which one it is.)
13. Now that the PC is open you should see the amazing charts folder double click on it.
14. With the folder open you should see the amazingcharts.mdb double click on it.
15. Now amazing charts will open and you will see the log in screen come up with that databases information, and you are done resetting the path, and setting it again.
If you are using the computer off of the network and need to know how to synch look to the help button in amazing charts and select online wiki, then select: Windows of Amazing Charts, and select synch databases. You will find step-by-step instructions on how to do it right.
The "main computer" in Amazing Charts (AC) is the computer that contains the Amazing Charts database, which stores all patient and practice information. Other "local computers" connect to the "main computer" to read and save information on that database.
These databases cannot simply be copied to a new computer, since they are linked to SQL Express (a database program) on that specific "main computer".
The following instructions will describe the steps to take when moving the AC Database to a new main computer:
Optional: If you have a large Imported Items folder, the backup and restore procedure will be faster if you exclude Imported Items. To do this, click the Advanced Settings button on the lower left, and check off "Exclude Imported Items". Then, either copy the Imported Items file (C:\Program Files\Amazing Charts\Imported Items) to the desktop of the new computer, or save the file to a thumbdrive.
Optional: After the restore is complete, if you excluded Imported Items when creating the .enc file, drag the Imported Items folder that you placed on the new computer's desktop or on the thumbdrive into the Amazing Charts folder and overwrite the Imported Charts folder already there (If yous aved Amazing Charts to the default location, you can find the folder at C:\Program Files\Amazing Charts.)
If you have trouble connecting your “local computers” to the new “main computer,” or if you are having trouble restoring the backup on your new “main computer,” please contact Amazing Charts Technical Support at (866) 382-5932.
Click here to purchase Amazing Charts immediately
Amazing Charts is constantly improving our product. One way we do this is by reviewing bug reports from users. Bug reports are generated any time something unexpected happens in Amazing Charts. These bug reports go to our development and quality assurance teams who look for trends and try to replicated the bugs so we can fix them.
Bug reporting is automatically turned on in Amazing Charts. To check this look at the bottom of your screen. It should say "Intense debugging is on" If is does not say this go to Help | About Amazing Charts and select the button that says Turn On Debugging.
Any time you encounter a bug a screen will pop up that will as you for information about what you were doing when the bug occurred. The more information that is in that window, the easier it is for our teams to find the bug and the solution.
You can also manually submit a bug. Help | Report a Bug. The same bug reporting window will come up, but in this case, there is no technical information going to our team, so it is especially important to include a thorough description.
Other fields in the bug tracking window are Seriousness of the issues and your email address. While we don't respond to all bugs, we do respond to some and can only do so if you include your email address.
1. On the main page of Amazing Charts highlight the patient you wish to document on.
2. Click on the message box above the name.
3. Once you have selected the patient look to the right of the page, you will see a red paperclip. Click on that.
4. You will now notice that the patient has appeared in the box above in the subject line and you will also notice right next to it that you have the patient's information.
5. This is so it can attach it to a chart when you are finished with it.
6. Now choose who you want the message to go to. You may choose from the drop down menu.
7. Highlight that person.
8. In the message box type the message you wish to send.
9. Once you are finished with the message click the button to the right that says send message.
1. The message will then be sent to the person you assigned it to.
2. At some point that person will open up their messages and highlight the message. Then they will click on the reply button to answer your message.
3. Once it is answered they will send the message back.
4. You will then see it appear in your box once it has been sent back.
5. Select the message and high light it.
6. It will then appear in you box at the bottom of the page for you to view.
7. Once you have viewed it you will then click on the reply button to document what you have done.
8. Then click on the save to chart button.
9. It will then be saved to the chart, and you can view it in the past encounters.
Go to the main screen of Amazing Charts.
1. Type the patients name in and highlight it. Once it is highlighted take your mouse and double click.
2. That will bring you to the patients chart.
3. Once you are in the chart look to the top of the page and in the tab that says "past encounters" you would need to click on that.
4. Once you have gotten into the past encounters you will see everything that was ever saved to the chart.
5. Just scroll down choose and highlight the message you wish to view.
6. All the information will appear in the box below it.
You need to be on the main page of Amazing Charts. You need to type the patients name and highlight them.
You can click on the patient button located at the top of the screen. You will find "add addendum" in the drop down menu. This is if you do not want to go through the patient's chart.
If you are in a patient's chart and you need to add an addendum, you can go to the top of that page and click on the file button located at the top left hand corner of the note. In the drop down menu you will also see "add addendum."
Once you select add the addendum there will be a box that pops up and that is where you will put all your information that you would have needed to add, edit, or delete information on a paient.
You also have the choice to change the date of this addendum.
When you are finished make sure you click on the save to chart button located in the lower right hand corner.
To open an addendum you would need to be on the main page of Amazing Charts. You need to type the patients name and highlight them.
You can click on the patient button located at the top of the screen. You will find "add addendum" in the drop down menu. This is if you do not want to go through the patients chart.
If you are in a patients chart and you need to add an addendum, you can go to the top of that page and click on the file buttonlocated at the top left hand corner of the note. In the drop down menu you will also see "add addendum".
Once you select add the addendum there will be a box that pops up and that is where you will put all your information that you would have needed to add, edit or delete information on a paient.
You also have the choice to change the date of this addendum.
There are 3 locations in Amazing Charts that you can order tests for patients.
1. The first place you can find it is on the main page of Amazing Charts. You would need to type in a patients name and highlight them. After that if you look to the middle of that page you will see a button with a printer in it. Click on that and bring down the drop down menu and select "print lab/x ray orders". Once you have selected that, the order box will pop up and there you will type your orders in or right click and use any templates that were set up for labs/xrays. And then you can either print it for the patient or save it to the chart without printing.
2. The second place you will be able to find the order button is on the main page of Amazing Charts also. At the top of the page is your message button. Click on that and it will take you to your messages. You would need to select a patient at the left hand side of the screen by typing in their name and highlighting it. You would then click on the red paper clip and that will attach it to a patients chart. Then you would you would click on the order button located at the right side of that message box. When the order box pops up you will be able to put your orders in there. When you go to print it the order will also appear in the lower part of the message comments section. There you can save it to the chart.
3. The third place you will find it is in the patients chart. Again, you would have to put the patients name in, highlight and double click on their name. It will then take you to the patients chart. While doing a note you can give the patient orders by clicking on the order button to the lower right side of the note. When you click on it and the order box opens type or right click to use your templates to put the orders in. Once you print it for the patient it will automatically be saved to the chart and you would be able to view it on that same note under the plan.
In order to pull any patient's chart you need to be on the main screen of Amazing Charts.
Type in the patient's last name and highlight them. Once they are highlighted you can double click on their name and their chart will appear.
Or, you can highlight their name and look below it, you will see a yellow folder. You can click on that and the drop down menu will come up where you can choose what part of the chart you need.
There are two ways to get the patient's summary.
1. On the main page of Amazing Charts you would need to put the patient's name in and highlight it. You then have to double click on the patient and it will bring you to the most recent encounter. If you look above you will see the summary tab, just click on it.
2. Highlight the patient's name and once that is done look below the name you will see a yellow folder, select that to get the drop down menu and select the summary.
To forward a chart is pretty simple.
When you are in a patient's encounter and you are finished documenting what it is that you need, look down to the right of the page you will see the forward chart button.
Select that button and a list of names will come up in a drop down menu.
Choose the person you wish to send the chart to and click on it. It will then go to that persons message box.
To pull a forwarded chart, you need to check your message box first.
The message box can be found at the top of the main page of Amazing Charts. You will see 3 nice size squares and the middle one with the green box in it is your message box.
Click on that box and it will bring up all your messages.
Once your messages appear look for the chart you wish to open and double click on it. After you double click on it your chart will appear.
1. You need to see if they already exisit in Amazing Charts.
2. Enter their last name on the main page.
3. If they do not appear in the box below then you would add them as a new patient.
4. If you look below the box of the patients name you will see to the left a little white box. Take your mouse to that box and select it. Bring down the drop down menu and choose "Add a new patient".
5. You will then be brought to the demographics page.
6. You will notice that there are four area's highlighted in RED.
7. Those are the only area's that you would need to fill out to get the patient started in Amazing Charts.
8. Once you fill out the four area's select the save button.
9. If you are very busy once the above is done, you can go back anytime to add in all the other information.
1. Take the picture
2. Your photo software will ask you to name the picture, and you can name it the patient's last name with first initial. That will make it easier for you to locate it.
3. Go to the patien't demographic's section and click on the add picture icon.
4. It will then give you the list of saved picture's you have and then double click on that patient and it will appear in the picture box.
1. Select the patient you wish to inactivate on the main page of Amazing Charts, by highlighting them.
2. Next, below the name you will see to the left a little white box, select that and select patient demographics from the drop down menu.
3. You will then go directly to the patient's demographics page.
4. If you look to the center of that page and half way down you will see a little box marked "inactivate patient".
5. Put you mouse in the box and click.
6. You will notice that a check mark has appeared with a drop down menu.
7. You may choose one of the choices we have for you there or just type one in, Amazing Charts will save it in the drop down menu.
8. Now if you go back to the main page and put the patient's last name in, you will notice that they are no longer there.
9. However, this can be reversed.
10. Go to where you would type in the last name on the main page, if you look to the right of that same line you will see 2 circles one for active patient's and one for all patient's.
11. If you wish to put the patient back into Amazing Charts just take your mouse and click in the all patient's circle.
12. You will then notice that the patient is back in the box below their name.
13. You can activate them by going to their demographics page and removing the check mark.
14. The patient is now back in Amazing Charts.
First you need to highlight the patient's name on the main page of Amazing Charts.
Once the name is highlighted just double click on their name and their most recent encounter will show up.
Look down at the bottom of the page you will see the medication box.
Double click in that box and it will bring up the medication window.
There you will be able to add, edit, or delete any medications you wish.
To prescribe a medication you would have to click on the "RX" tab which is located in several areas of Amazing Charts.
If you are in a note you will see the "Rx" button at the lower right hand corner of the page. Click on that and it will bring you to the prescription page. There you will be able to give them a prescription by putting the medication in the search box at the top.
Once you find the medication you are looking for highlight it and it will appear in the script. If it is a medication you have prescribed in the past you will just need to highlight it to the left and it will appear in the script.
When you are finished click on the print button. In this section once you print the prescription it will then appear in the "plan" of the patients chart.
You can also find the "RX" in the message section and when you highlight a patients name by right clicking.
To edit the medications you would need to select the patient you wish to edit and highlight them. Click on the "RX" button located either in the chart or in the messages. You can also highlight their name and then right click, that will give you a drop down list for you to choose "medications/prescription pad."
When you get to the prescription section look to the left of the script page you will see the patients med list. Choose the medication you wish to edit and hightlight it. It will then appear in the med box to the right. You can then make any changes you need to make.
Once the changes are finished click on the "update/prescribe" button and then look to the left and click on the "add new" button.
Once those steps are complete you will see the changes.
To remove a medication from the patient's chart, you will need to highlight the patient and double click, that will take you into the patients chart.
Once you are in the patients chart click on the "RX" and the prescription page will open. To remove the medication choose the medication from their med list loctated to the left side of that page. Highlight it, and it will appear to the right.
Once it is there, look to the left side of the page and select "delete".
By deleting this medication it will be removed from their current med list but will remain in their past med list. That list can be found in the patients past encounters.
Go to the Administrator Section located under the view button of the main page of Amazing Charts.
Once you get into the Admin section if you look all the way to the right of the page you will see a tab that is labeled "preferences" click on that. There you will be able to choose your format.
You can order secure prescription paper in the Administration Section of Amazing Charts under the "view" button.
When you get into Admin, you would need to select "preferences" there you will be given a link to order the paper and printer if you need to.
(updated 6/3/10 for version 5.028)
Amazing Charts offers electronic prescribing (ePrescribing or eRx) through Sure Scripts via New Crop. New Crop uses First DataBank as its source of drug information. This includes drug/drug, drug/disease, and drug/allergy interactions (your patients’ allergies and disease information are automatically and securely transferred to New Crop). They also use for OrderView Med Knowledge Base for easy med ordering. ePrescribing offers the benefit of sending prescriptions directly to pharmacies electronically.
This saves both the patient and the staff time. No more time on the phone calling in prescriptions. The medicine can be available when the patient arrives. All transmissions are protected and secure so only the pharmacy can see the information that is being sent. With ePrescribing, patients’ allergy and diagnosis codes used to make sure there are no drug/allergy or drug/disease interactions. And all current medications are known so you are warned of any drug/drug interactions. The medical knowledge database (First DataBank) is updated monthly and the date of newest release can be seen in ePrescribing in the “Review Rx” page.
Follow these steps:
You can confirm that SureScripts (via NewCrop) has received the eRx by doing the following:
You can't confirm that the pharmacy has received the eRx from SureScripts. A minority of pharmacies are still learning the system, and some pharmacy personnel don't have a clue how to check for an eRx. So try several pharmacies before calling Tech Support.
However, if you can't even access the NewCrop windows described above, then you aren't credentialed yet for eRx by NewCrop. Contact Amazing Charts technical support.
(updated 6/3/10 for version 5.028)
Check several times daily to see if pharmacies have sent you refill requests:
To approve a refill request:
Future versions of Amazing Charts are to include the ability to process refill requests within the "Medications & Prescribing" window .
On the main screen of Amazing Charts you will see a place under "patient list" to put in a last name, first name. When you put the last name in the patient should appear in the box below.
If they do not appear and you have your active patients checked off that does not mean that they are not in there.
You can also click on the all patients button to see if they are in the inactive list.
If they do not appear when you have tried both selections the patient is not in Amazing Charts.
Plotting growth curves is easy in Amazing Charts
Open the patients chart for whom you want to plot growth curves.
On the Most Recent Encounter tab (which opens automatically) there is a button for Growht Curve under the Vitals section
Click this button and age appropriate growth curves with patient's values already plotted will appear
You can change the age of the growth charts to see, for example 0-36 month curves even if the child is 6 yrs old
To print these, just hit the print button on the panel that opens in the upper left corner of your screen
There are many sections in Amazing Charts you can use the templates that you have either created or chosen. They are:
1. CC = Chief Complaint
2. ROS = Review of Systems
3. HPI = History of Present Illness
4. PMH = Past Medical History
5. ALL = Allergies
6. SH = Social History
7. FH = Family History
9. PE = Physical Exam
10. ASS = Assessment
These are all the sections that you can use templates in.
To use the templates in these sections simply click in the box of that section with your mouse and then right click with your mouse. Choose the template you wish to use and double click on it and it will appear in the section that you have chosen for it.
First you would need to go to the "Adminstration Section". You will find this section under the view button located at the top of your main screen of Amazing Charts. When you select view you will then bring down the menu where you will have the option to choose the "admin section."
Once, you are in the admin section you want to select the tab at the top of the page that says templates.
When that screen opens, look to the bottom left hand side of the page. You will see three selections. Add, edit, and copy.
To add a template, select "add." You will then see to the right of that the option to place the template in the section you wish to find it. Second, you will be able to name it and third you will be able to create your own template.
Make sure once you have made a template to click the shared button so it will be available for you to use while doing an encounter.
To edit the template, select "edit." You will first need to select the template above that you wish to edit. Once, it is highlighted you will see it appear in the text boxes at the bottom of the screen. There you will be able to add, edit or delete anything you want from that box. Once you are finished making changes make sure you click on the "save changes" button.
Sharing templates is very simple.
You need to go to the "Administration Section" located under the view button on the main page of Amazing Charts. Once you open the admin section click on the "templates."
Now that you are in the templates you will see the shared button to the right of the page. Click your mouse in the small boxes of the templates you wish to use. Once they are checked off you will be able to find them in the sections that they were assigned to.
To use the templates just click in the box in the patients chart and right click with your mouse to view them. Then you can double click on the template you wish to use and it will appear in the box.
Organizational schemes are largely a matter of taste, of course.
Amazing Charts comes with standard templates, prearranged by body system or by complexity of examination, et cetera.
However, most users end up customizing the templates to their taste, at some point. This includes the order in which templates occur in their respective lists. Here are some clever organizational schemes which other users have utilized in the past:
Jacques Guillot, MD: Dr Guillot remarks that templates are usually listed in alphabetical order, but entries can be easier to find if organized categorically.
Example: for his Exam templates, he chose 10 broad categories:
He then labeled templates numerically, such as:
410 Soft, NT: "Abdomen is soft and nontender."
415 No perit: "No peritnoneal signs."
510 WNL: "Neuro exam grossly normal."
515 2+ DTRs: "DTRs are 2+ and symmetric."
Dr. Guillot says that when searching the list, this gives a nice, sequential order. He can insert new templates in between, like 412 or 4121 and 4122.
Neil E Goodman MD: Dr. Goodman points out that one can also arrange templates by System, then Disease State: As they will list alphabetically, the most common ones can be named using a "space" first (you can also use other punctuation as I have done below - ed.) which brings them to the top of the list.
System - State
EYES - >WNL
EYES - Allergic
EYES - Blephar
EYES - Conjunct
MOUTH - >WNL
MOUTH - Herpes
MOUTH - Strep
Note that these are titles only. The template would contain the individual doctors stereotypic description of typical findings, such as each of us use every day.
Vincent Meyer, MD: Dr. Meyer uses "a" to "z" for the prefix for systems, and then starts with the head and then works his way down. Normals are single letter, abnormals are letter and number. For example:
a = normal
a1 = allergies
a2 = sinusitis
Again, these are titles only.