Free Blue cross Michigan EDI for AC PM
by DCubed
09/16/14 09:47 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#43805 - 04/24/12 04:25 AM Updox questions
melanie Offline

Loc: California
OK, still trying to envision workflow using AC and Updox...

1) Don't shoot me - but since we are going to be importing lots of paper by scanning ( we have an in-house lab and do lots of different tests - and the machines are too "old" and cannot be interfaced) - exactly what is the advantage of using Updox? What more can it offer us beyond just creating a big dumping ground for all incoming faxes? Does it integrate at all with scanned documents?

2) The ability for us to annotate/comment on labs and have it remain with the lab as a permanent part of the record is crucial. At present, we frequently make comments on the labs (i.e., have the M.A. call the pt. to be sure they didn't miss Coumadin doses because their INR is way off) - the M.A. routes the chart back to ua with a comment (No, pt. didn't miss any doses) - and we add another comment (Increase the dose to...) and send it back. How does this get accomplished within Updox? Do the comments stay with that lab as part of a permanent record?

Thanks,
Melanie

#43820 - 04/24/12 02:49 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
dgrauman Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
Melanie,
In thinking how to answer this, I keep flashing back to the scene in "Napoleon Dynamite" where Pedro is giving a campaign speech and saying "If you vote for me, all of your wildest dreams will come true..."

The short answer is yes, UpDox will do all that you wish and much more. Describing how to do it, however, is a bunch more complicated. Imagine for a second that you have just taken two pieces of metal to a shop and asked how they can be joined together. The answer is many; they can be welded, or riveted, or bolted together or glued, or joined in several over ways, depending on your skills and what you are most comfortable with. I can tell you how I use UpDox, but it is just one path among many, and might seem cumbersome to you. Some capabilities are duplicated in AC itself, and you might prefer to use AC to do that part of the task instead. I don't want to have you say "Oh, that is really clumsy and it is a stupid program", if doing it slightly differently would really "sing" to you.

The best way is to get it and spend some quality time fiddling with it. Then your questions can be more focussed along the lines of what you find easy.

#43825 - 04/24/12 03:34 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
ryanjo Offline

Loc: Central Florida
Originally Posted By: melanie

What more can it offer us beyond just creating a big dumping ground for all incoming faxes?

Once the document is received in Updox, it can be:
-- routed to another user for actions (as below)
-- deleted (ie, spam)
-- "marked up" (edited, ie: form completed/filled out, with changes saved)
-- saved to Imported Items in AC within a custom folder (not limited to default AC folders)
-- emailed and/or faxed out and/or sent to a patient portal -- with a secure message to the recipient

All with a single mouse click

Does it integrate at all with scanned documents?

Yes, scanned docs can go into a folder on the PC and will be automatically uploaded into the Updox workspace. In addition, any document created in any application on the computer can be uploaded to Updox by "printing" using the Updox Central printer extension installed in the computer's "Devices & Printers" Control Panel.

The ability for us to annotate/comment on labs and have it remain with the lab as a permanent part of the record is crucial.... How does this get accomplished within Updox?

When the document is saved to AC's Imported Items, a window opens with the date of the import (can be modified), and an area for notes, which is saved with the document. Or the document can be "marked up" with comments directly on the report, and saved.

Do the comments stay with that lab as part of a permanent record?

Yes.

#43828 - 04/24/12 03:44 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
JBS Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Demo it.

Reduce needless clicks!

#43829 - 04/24/12 03:50 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
ryanjo Offline

Loc: Central Florida
Seconding what Jon suggested ("Demo it").

Best ever feature for new users -- Tobin or Charlie from Updox will get on line with you and help you set everything up and demonstrate how to use the features. Really unheard of personal service!

#43838 - 04/24/12 09:09 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

Loc: Montana
Hrumph Hrumph!!! Tobin and Charlie are great, "demo it"

#43854 - 04/25/12 12:28 AM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
Sandeep Offline

I know this thread is about UpDox. Just a little FYI, Adobe Reader X (Free, most people already have it), allows you to add sticky notes to PDF documents and highlight items. If you're scanning in a lot of items, I get the feeling you may already have Adobe Acrobat Standard that's included with popular document scanners like the ScanSnap S1500 and fi-6130.

PaperPort also allows you to make annotations and edit the documents. Included with a lot of MFC fax machines.

If you receive a high volume of faxes, consider getting a faxboard. PDFs will come in a folder where you can annotate and file them either in AC's imported items or an external filing system. Pretty straightforward.

Sandeep "Deep" Luthra | I.T. Systems Architect/Engineer
(760) 895-1390 Ext. 101 | sluthra@luthratech.com
http://luthratech.com | http://luthratech.com/blog

#44923 - 05/18/12 05:28 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: Sandeep]
melanie Offline

More questions...if you have a fax board, how does it interact directly with AC? Do you have to use another program to be able to annotate the faxed items (i.e. reports)? How easy is it to insert these into AC after that, and (assuming you have them in a OCR form), where in AC do they "go"? Directly into a patient chart? Is the information on the scanned item retrievable?

Thanks,
Melanie

#44924 - 05/18/12 05:30 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
melanie Offline

More questions...if you have a fax board, how does it interact directly with AC? Do you have to use another program to be able to annotate the faxed items (i.e. reports)? How easy is it to insert these into AC after that, and (assuming you have them in a OCR form), where in AC do they "go"? Directly into a patient chart? Is the information on the scanned item retrievable?

Thanks,
Melanie

#44930 - 05/18/12 06:11 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
Marty_PA Online   content

Melanie,

You would still need some software in order to mark up the faxes, either Updox, Paperport or Adobe (Adobe reader X). If you use Paperport or adobe, you could drag your files into the IMPORTED ITEMS in AC. These files would reside on your server in folders corresponding to AC chart #'s. The information scanned is retrievable by looking at the pages but you wouldn't be able to search for specific things printed on these pages without some sort of OCR software.

If you use Updox, you could mark up the faxes, sign them off and file them easily.

#44937 - 05/18/12 07:45 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: Marty_PA]
melanie Offline

Marty,

I think I get it - but the "imported file" part confuses me -

At what point do I do the additional step of converting the file into an OCR format? Isn't there a way for files to be directly imported into AC already in PDF-OCR format (and, I will need to do this from faxed/scanned AND barcoded items.) Or is UpDox not presently able to do this?

If I drag the lab into the pts. chart (in the imported file) how do I review a pts. chart in light of the lab I have just received? Do I have to flip back and forth between the chart and the lab, or can they be viewed simultaneously in two separate windows?

After I have annotated the report and want to send it to my M.A., what exactly is sent? The chart with the file now imported into it?

After all of the annotations are done (I think the guy at UpDox told me it is in an "overwrite" format on the lab, which is what I want), how easy is it to sign off and file everything?

Thx!
Melanie

#44938 - 05/18/12 08:03 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]

Melanie,

Where exactly are you located in California?

Files that are in PDF, Word or Excel can be directly imported into AC by dragging the file into the IMPORTED ITEM's section of the chart. Reviewing the charts from the imported items section isn't exactly user friendly as you can't "flip" back and forth from your imported item to the notes in your chart. But it's something you get used to.

If you sign something off and you want to send some sort of action plan to your MA, you can attach the chart in a message with what you want done. This can also be documented in the chart that you sent the message.

Signing stuff off in Updox is easy. You can mark up the lab, sign it off. Then send it to someone and file it at the same time. Very easy. I can for example using updox: authorize a faxed refill request (by marking it up and signing it and faxing it back), file it in the patients chart and send an email to the patient notifying them their prescription has been authorized all with one mouse click.

#44939 - 05/18/12 08:46 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: Marty_PA]
melanie Offline

Marty,

What steps do you need to go through to look at a lab, then get to the pts. chart in AC to review their meds/visits etc. I am concerned that you cannot "flip" easily from one to the other - how unwieldy is it? Do you have to close down Updox to be able to open a chart?

And....I'm in SF

Thanks!
Melanie

#44940 - 05/18/12 08:57 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]

Melanie,

I asked where you were in California figuring if you were close to me down here I could show you our setup.

Check your Private Messages on this board. I'll leave you my phone office phone # and you can call me.

#46435 - 06/27/12 05:35 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
Wayne Offline

Loc: New York, NY
On an impulse last week, I downloaded Updox for a Free Trial and had a demo.

WOW! !!BAMM!!

My first impression was so strong I've started to transfer my patients from RelayHealth.

But of course, there is always a problem somewhere.

My first one is: UpDox is supposed to automatically create a Portal Account for any patient that has an email address stored in AC. Yes, I did check the box to activate this feature. But its not working consistently. It appears some patients have had the portal account created, and some did not.

If I proceed to send the patient something, Updox will then go ahead and create the portal account...but also send me a message that it did so. I really don't want all of those messages. Any suggestions?

#46436 - 06/27/12 05:43 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

Wayne,
I am an Updox groupie myself, and would rather live in New York than be without Updox (sorry!)
However, I would email Charlie at support@updox.com--this is the quickest and best way to get help and Charlie is the best!!!
My nurse has experienced this at times, but I am not sure how to walk you through correcting the problem.

#46439 - 06/27/12 06:00 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
Wayne Offline

I did send in a message to Updox on there support email. Sometimes folks on the AC board are faster than email support so I just gave it the "old college try." Thanks for the suggestion though.

#46443 - 06/27/12 07:26 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

Wayne,
I will try but I don't have the skills of Bert or Jon-
It is my understanding that if a patient has an email account in AC that the demographic information, including the email will be transmitted to Updox. However to create a portal account in Updox you have to go to address book and click on create account then the portal will be formed in Updox-- I hope this helps--and I would love to see NYC one of these days--I was just yanking your chain.

#46444 - 06/27/12 08:47 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
Wayne Offline

Thanks Jimmie. I had done that. But during the demo (and in the Admin section for the Portal) I was told that UpDox would automatically create the portal account if the patient had an email address in AC and if I checked the option for UpDox to do so. Of course I did.

This makes since. If a practice is not new (like us) you may have a couple or more thousand patients. You don't want to individually go and activate the portal for each one! Plus an Updox message is generated stating that you opened the portal account. This then must be archived. So I think it really is supposed to do it automatically like it says it does. But I'm not sure why it isnt.

#46446 - 06/27/12 09:49 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
dgrauman Offline

Loc: Fairbanks, Alaska
We do not have the automatic portal option checked, and it creates the portal account when something is sent to the patient for the first time. For me, I just get a brief message on the UpDox screen when I send to the portal which disappears in 2-3 seconds.

#46447 - 06/27/12 10:18 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
Wayne Offline

I tried just sending something to the portal also. I do believe that did create the account without sending me a message about it. That kindof works. Its just that I have 2000 people on our other portal, not all of which have something that I need to send to them.

Maybe I should send another practice-wide message stating that they may not be activated until we need to send them something. hmmm.

#46458 - 06/28/12 03:57 AM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

Wayne,
Are you sending a practice-wide message by RelayHealth? I am not familiar with that.
What we do is create new portals at the patient encounter, and my nurse prints up the password information and educates on how to get started in person. There is some intial upfront teaching but over time the portal messaging back and forth has been a huge time saver, and has cut back on a lot of the phone tag.
As I understand Updox will not allow to send out practice wide messaging. However, one can create/design to a degree your own portal access information page, which I have done and have available 4 forms that patients can fill on their own computer at their own leisure. Demographic, appt request, medication request, medicare annual wellness visit forms that my wife created, and patients send thru portal and my nurse will copy and paste into the AC chart once received in the Updox work window. Also, I can let patients know when I go on vacation, and when I will be out of office by adding that to the portal site information.
On the other end making templates to attach to patients summaries have been helpful, such as handouts for the health maintnenace items such as advanced directives, exercise, alcohol usage, diabetic diets, low chol diets etc. My nurse reads in the summary (which I dictate at the visit) and attach with the summary the appropriate handout that I recommend under each health maintenance item and shoots it to the patient's portal who can then read on his smart phone before he gets home--quite efficient.
The ability to efax right from the exam room (currently using logmein on laptop remoted to main computer) so I can send my robitussin ac with my escript of amox has been a huge time saver, as well.
If you decide to create any handouts or templates, I can get my wife to help out, because she knows how to do that.
But if you are able to send out a practice wide message about educating/activating individual portals at time of contact during visit, might be helpful--it will be painful up front but in long run I suspect you will see the efficiencies pay off. I realize you did not ask for all of this, but as you can see, I am a bit exuberant about the interaction of AC and Updox, and in 18, almost 19 years of practice have not seen anything comparable in improving one's efficiency in the office.

#46468 - 06/28/12 12:44 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
Wayne Offline

RelayHealth does allow practice-wide messages. I thought I saw that in Updox also, but if not it will be a suggested feature. Its very handy. Now with new patients we'll be making portal accounts at the encounter. The basic messaging, which is all we'll be using initially, is rather idiot proof so I won't be spending too much time our patients on it.

I will appreciate assistance on forms when I get there.

But yes, I sent a practice-wide message on Relay that they should expect a message from our new portal within a few days. "Knowing" that it would be automatically generated if the email address was in AC was why I did that. And it seems some were automatically generated. I've opened some patients and saw that they had a portal account. But others I opened did not have the portal account, even though the email address was in AC and had been automatically copied to Updox. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle this if it won't make the accounts automatically. Like I said, I have 2000 patients active on Relay that I want to switch. I really don't want to do it one-by-one.

Updox will save us alot of time due to its integration with AC. It will greatly reduce keystrokes and waiting for uploads. Also, Updox has a new scheduling module that allows online appointment scheduling with real-time updates to the AC schedule. That will be included the 2nd phase of my implementation of Updox.

#46469 - 06/28/12 01:12 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

I had mentioned the practice-wide messaging to Charlie about a month ago,and I believe he said it they were working on that capability--so that may be coming soon.
Also one other feature you will likely find or have found is the letter writing from AC to the portal account in the office or remotely is very user friendly.
One thing to consider about the forms, it is quite easy to make a template for mammogram and pap smear results that each time the report comes in my nurse will attach the normal pap letter to the report and send it to the patient portal and then to AC with one maneuver which saves her time. So I don't have to go and write the letter as well, but this is saved in AC. So you can create the forms or templates in stages as well, but if I had to do it over again I would have implemented creating the pap and mammo letter attachment earlier on.

#46478 - 06/28/12 05:24 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]

Wayne,

Welcome to UPDOX, we love it here in our office. I have used the portal a little bit and the patients love it.

#46497 - 06/29/12 12:33 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
Wayne Offline

I received the email back form Charles. He states that there is a known bug with the automatic portal account creation feature that they intend to fix in a future update.

#46499 - 06/29/12 12:43 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
Wayne Offline

I'd like to thank you all for your suggestions on using Updox. Having a system that integrates w/ AC will force us to rethink our workflow to best take advantage of it. Right now while we're getting patients into the system we are just continuing to do as we had in the past, but with fewer clicks. Far fewer clicks.

Can Updox receive Email?

Can I access my Updox account from my home PC? I have little time during the day to do things like make templates or experiment with forms. It would be handy if I could access it from home.

#46500 - 06/29/12 12:46 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

Wayne,
Thank you for the update, and do you think this will make you less likely to go with Updox?

#46501 - 06/29/12 12:50 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

Sorry,
I did not see your post #46499
yes you can access AC from home.
yes, Updox can receive email. and also do secure messaging.

#46502 - 06/29/12 01:01 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

I have not used the email or secure messaging much at all, and have told my nurse not to email any patient anything because of being non HIPAA compliant if you email any PHI. (sorry, I don't want to be insulting) but just explaining my rationale.
I have instructed my nurse only e-messaging allowed is through the portal in a secure fashion.
However, I think you can email thru Updox by inviting by fax or email an invitation, and if accepted then the e-messaging if password protected is then secure--so in that sense you can send and receive email--but double check with charlie to make sure this is right.

#46503 - 06/29/12 01:45 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

I meant Updox from home--and in fact with logmein it is nice to have AC/Updox both so you can essentially do everything from a remote site without having to download the updox on your home computer-in order to use it, but there is a bit of a lag with logmein from home (maybe not in New York)

#46506 - 06/29/12 02:09 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

Sorry about all the different posts--I took today off and will leave you alone and take the kids swimming--but it is easy to download updox on home computer and often time I will use just updox without doing the logmein thing --and that is what we did when my wife designed all of the forms--all from home with Updox.

#46519 - 06/29/12 05:27 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]

I use the non secure email for pictures. I use my iPhone to snap a picture of a wound/lesion and email it to my Updox email. I then import it into the patient's chart.

#46561 - 06/30/12 03:51 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: jimmie]
Wayne Offline

Jimmie, I've already gone with Updox. Technically I'm still on my 15-day free trial but this deal is done.

#46563 - 06/30/12 04:00 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
Wayne Offline

Let me explain my goal behind certain questions.

1) Updox from home. I use GotomyPC and am aware that I can log remotely onto the PC at the office and use Updox. But it is a pain with the lag. I was wondering, if I downloaded Updox to my home PC, could I, say...make a new template and it shows up on the PC at the office. That implies that it is linked to a "central" Updox server, instead of just locally installed on my pc. Granted, at home I wont be able to connect to the AC database. Dont need to. Just want to play around with Updox features and maybe add templates and forms.

2) Email. We have a couple of radiology clinics that email the radiology reports as password protected pdf files. I'd like to have them email it directly to Updox so I can open the email and save the report to the chart more easily. Yes, I can provide them with the Updox fax number, but I"m trying to stay under my page limit.

#46564 - 06/30/12 04:42 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: Wayne]
JBS Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
1. Yes, Wayne, Updox templates and forms are on their server. It is easy to download Updox to your home computer, and documents created there are available at work. As you noted, you are not connected to your AC database though.

2. Yes, Updox receives emails. As you said, they do not have any cost so are a good way to keep your page count down. You can receive a notification (or copy) of the email at your home address, or you can simply have it go to the Updox workspace.

Reduce needless clicks!

#46565 - 06/30/12 04:46 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]

Wayne

You can install Updox at home, run it and file directly to AC. You can make forms on Updox on your home PC. Those forms will be there no matter where you use Updox.

As for emails, those don't count against your page limit.

#46659 - 07/03/12 04:30 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
LuisP Offline

Has anyone encountered issues with UPdox as it pertains to hanging or becoming very slow when editing/saving a document? I repeatedly have had issues with this; sometimes I have to restart Updox in order for it to allow me to edit a document. If I select multiple pages of a particular fax and hit the Edit button, then its even worse; I can't recall the last time I was able to edit a multipage document in that fashion; I have to select and edit each individual page separately for it to work. It doesn't happen consistently, though, which makes it even more frustrating and difficult to diagnose. Just wondering if others are encountering this issue.

Thanks

#46660 - 07/03/12 04:45 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]

Luis,

I've never had this problem with UPDOX. When you have that issue, have you tried it on a different PC?

#46661 - 07/03/12 05:35 PM Re: Updox questions [Re: melanie]
jimmie Offline

Luis,
My nurse has noted sluggish speed when she opens a chart with a lot of imported items. Today my IT guy is suppose to hardwire her to the gigabyte switch with an ethernet cable so this should take care of this as currently using wireless N to connect to the gigabyte switch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Indy, Sandeep 
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Marty_PA), 6 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
Bert 9807
JBS 2107
Leslie 1967
Sandeep 1944
Wendell365 1870
ryanjo 1792
Wayne 1761
Steven 1691
hockeyref 1654
dgrauman 1507