by Boondoc
12/07/17 05:30 PM
Place a watermark on plain paper
by Tomastoria
12/07/17 01:52 PM
Philips SpeechAir smart voice recorder
by DoctorMel
12/05/17 08:16 PM
HP is installing a telemetry client - has your HP slowed down?
by Indy
12/04/17 05:46 PM
[Deal] Canon MF414dw $169
by Sandeep
12/01/17 09:15 AM
An added feature under Harris
by Bert
11/30/17 06:29 PM
Good deal on Revo Uninstaller
by Wendell365
11/29/17 04:39 AM
how to disable chrome browser extensions, windows server domain
by Indy
11/28/17 10:26 PM
not sending Rx's to printer
by Wendell365
11/26/17 05:37 PM
Censorship
by Bert
11/24/17 01:38 AM
Topic Options
#71999 - 11/22/17 08:16 PM how to disable chrome browser extensions, windows server domain
beagle Offline

Trying to close security holes.

Running Windows 2012 r2 server. Workstations use Chrome browser. Staff inadvertently installs chrome browser extensions including shady redirecting ones. They do not have admin privileges.

How do I disable adding chrome extensions beyond the ones I choose? Group policy possible?

#72000 - 11/23/17 12:21 AM Re: how to disable chrome browser extensions, windows server domain [Re: beagle]
JamesNT Offline

Loc: North Carolina

#72001 - 11/23/17 06:12 PM Re: how to disable chrome browser extensions, windows server domain [Re: beagle]
beagle Offline

thanks i'll try it and report back!

knew i could count on the experts here.

i also bought chromebooks for the employees, all personal websurfing and email to be on those not the workstations. they are on the my office network, thoughts?

#72002 - 11/24/17 01:05 AM Re: how to disable chrome browser extensions, windows server domain [Re: beagle]
Bert Offline
Admin

Loc: Brewer, Maine
Hi Larry,

A few thoughts. First, wow. Good for you. Many on here, and I understand will say do not let employees play with email and web surfing at all, but you do, so let's go with that.

I don't know if you are talking wireless or wired, but either way, I like this idea the best. Personally, I would make sure it is a COMPLETELY different network with a completely different subnet. Absolutely no way of someone hacking in. So, I am sure you have a modem connected to a router connected to a switch which supplies all of clients and server with connection to the network and Internet, etc.

You can get a small Netgear switch and connect the modem to that switch. Now run an Ethernet cable to your network router. You now have the same network you started with. Take another Ethernet patch cable, run it from the small switch to a router, which is going to be the router/firewall for the isolated network. You can connect that to a different switch to the Chromebooks or you can connect to one of the patch panels that runs to an Ethernet jack of your office, which could be wireless.

Yes, you could do a similar thing with a VLAN on your switch, separating the two. I just do it this way, because there is absolutely no way to get into my network this way.

One idea I will throw at you. I used to block the Internet with some very good software. I haven't lately. I use it for discipline, shutting it down for two days. No cell phones are allowed. I don't allow Facebook at all except lunch, and I do NOT allow personal email, mainly web mail such as Gmail.

I allow the use of personal email on Outlook ONLY. Only one employee abused it. The reason I do it this way is because my Exchange is set up for email accounts for each user. There is also an archive account, which gets a copy of any email going out/in or most importantly, between users in the office. The employees know, and it is written down, that the computers are the office's and all email belongs to the office and can be subject to inspection at any time. I don't look at it, but I can. I got burned once by an employee and a bogus harassment suit. One other employee tried to do the same, and there were quite a few emails from her to other employees and to friends about lying about it. Any deleted emails, besides being backed up, are always in the archives. They don't know that. Plus, while maybe not yet, many businesses such as banks, etc. are required by law to have backups of all emails. Having the archives set up is helpful. Just a thought.

The other thought is that with Exchange and using Outlook, all email is encrypted and at least going out, but all email in the office is HIPAA compliant, because it only runs over the network. Do you think that employees may write stuff about patients and then take them home or it be less secure?

#72025 - 11/27/17 03:14 AM Re: how to disable chrome browser extensions, windows server domain [Re: beagle]
Tomastoria Offline

Loc: Astoria OR
We gave up on the ADSL from QWEST, and switched to Charter -- generally much better, but it has its own problems.
Kept QWEST as a backup, but now we use it for the employees and public browsing. Absolutely no connection to the office LAN.

#72035 - 11/28/17 10:26 PM Re: how to disable chrome browser extensions, windows server domain [Re: beagle]
Indy Offline

Loc: Western US
Originally Posted By: beagle
thanks i'll try it and report back!

knew i could count on the experts here.

i also bought chromebooks for the employees, all personal websurfing and email to be on those not the workstations. they are on the my office network, thoughts?

what is optimal is to split the network at the provider device, e.g. cable-modem with a switch as Bert suggested.

a separate wifi router for staff personal use, patient use, along with activate hours (only usable during office hours) keeps folks from "riding" the public network off-hours. This model has worked well for the practices we have implemented.

Indy's Blog

www.BestForYourPractice.com
Our Name is Our Creed

Moderator:  Indy, JBS, Sandeep 
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 6 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
Bert 11219
JBS 2489
Sandeep 2198
Wendell365 2190
Leslie 2002
ryanjo 1997
Wayne 1889
Steven 1718
Indy 1717
hockeyref 1669