by JBS
02/12/18 12:47 AM
MIPS/MACRA attestation
by joseph
02/11/18 09:20 PM
Topic Options
#72403 - 02/07/18 02:34 PM Message tracking
DocMark Offline

I'm a recent convert from Soapware, which didn't have a messaging system like AC. We used an intranet email server separate from the EMR, and then cut and pasted messages into the appropriate location in Soapware when they were ready to file. This process was a bit cumbersome, but it was a good system because we could easily track messages. In case a patient called in asking for the status of a refill request or question, it was always searchable in somebody's "Sent" folder.

It seems that Amazing Charts doesn't have a way of tracking messages. The outbox doesn't keep all messages, and there is no permanent "Sent" box to see what was sent, by whom, and when.

Am I misssing some functionality? How do other offices track messages?

#72405 - 02/07/18 06:24 PM Re: Message tracking [Re: DocMark]
Dr_AJ Offline

Loc: SE Michigan
Not sure if this is what you are looking for, but messages can be saved to a patient's chart.
Say I send a message (reminder) to Nursing to call a patient. They call the patient and document the result of the call by hitting reply to my message. Then, instead of 'sending' the reply to me, they hit save at that point and the message gets saved as addendum to patient's chart.

#72406 - 02/07/18 06:48 PM Re: Message tracking [Re: DocMark]
DocMark Offline

Thanks for the reply.

I really like the save function, it does give us the ability to track messages (as long as everybody remembers to save the message) but wouldn't that have the potential to create a ton of addenda? There are times when a message gets started by the front desk, I may send it back to the front for clarification, it then gets sent back to me, then to my nurse, then back to me again. If it is saved every step of the way, that's a lot of notes to save. I'm fearful it would clutter charts.

It would be nice to have a permanent "sent" folder like most email clients to serve the tracking purpose.

#72407 - 02/07/18 06:57 PM Re: Message tracking [Re: DocMark]
jimmie Offline

Loc: Montana
DocMark,

If you click on the Past Encounter on a test patient, and then look at the left hand side of the chart there are three options, I click on "All Encounters, messages, Addenda" then I can view all of these encounters linearly over time, by clicking the Past Encounter tab. This works really slick and my nurse manages the EHR for me so anything clinically relevant she will save to the chart. So before I go into the exam room or just want to see a linear record back in time, I click the Past Encounter tab for a quick and easy reference.

I also use Updox for my e-faxing, portal solution and Updox keeps everything for 7 years too as another way of tracking info, but that is a whole other discussion.

https://jimmievanagon.wordpress.com/about/

#72413 - 02/07/18 09:56 PM Re: Message tracking [Re: DocMark]
JBS Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Agree with what Jim and AJ describe.... we do something similar.
Two minor additions-
One way to avoid an excess number of messages is to only save the message at the end of the string - so if you and your staff are messaging back and forth, do not save the message. Only do so at the final step when the exchange is complete.
As Jim suggests, the "All encounters" radio button is our default in "Past Encounters", but if you don't want to see all the messages, just switch to "Progress notes only" and the messages disappear.

Reduce needless clicks!

#72418 - 02/08/18 12:57 AM Re: Message tracking [Re: DocMark]
DocMark Offline

Thanks to all for your workflow descriptions, they are helpful.

I guess what I'm trying to do may not be very easy, which is to search AC for a lost message. Occasionally we have a patient call asking what happened to their refill request from yesterday, the receptionist clearly remembers taking the message and sending it, but it's nowhere to be found. If she had a "sent" box that saved all messages, we could easily see when/where it was sent, and track it down.

I think instructing our reception staff to hit the "save" button prior to sending a message is probably the best solution, and we'll give it a try. Being able to filter out these from the Encounters as described should allay my clutterphobia.

Thanks again!

#72419 - 02/08/18 01:09 AM Re: Message tracking [Re: DocMark]
jimmie Offline

Loc: Montana
DocMark,

What you are describing is very easily solved by opening up the prescription writer, several ways of doing this. Opening up a chart and clicking on the prescription tab or if a message sent from your nurse in your inbox, click on the prescription tab. Once open then just run your cursor over the medication you are interested in and the amount, where and when you sent the script pops up on a tab--works slick.

If you want to see the entire prescription history, just click on the med and click on history.

If you are interested in looking at all of the meds prescribed for a certain day, click on "E-Prescribing" on upper bar tab of AC on the main screen, then click on Prescription Status. The current day shows up but you can pick and choose all transactions on a particular day, if needed.

https://jimmievanagon.wordpress.com/about/

#72420 - 02/08/18 01:55 AM Re: Message tracking [Re: DocMark]
Indy Offline

Loc: Western US
Originally Posted By: DocMark
Thanks for the reply.

I really like the save function, it does give us the ability to track messages (as long as everybody remembers to save the message) but wouldn't that have the potential to create a ton of addenda? There are times when a message gets started by the front desk, I may send it back to the front for clarification, it then gets sent back to me, then to my nurse, then back to me again. If it is saved every step of the way, that's a lot of notes to save. I'm fearful it would clutter charts.

It would be nice to have a permanent "sent" folder like most email clients to serve the tracking purpose.

Have you looked in the deleted messages - that is often how practices find messages that gotten 'lost'

Indy's Blog

www.BestForYourPractice.com
Our Name is Our Creed

#72423 - 02/08/18 01:22 PM Re: Message tracking [Re: DocMark]
JBS Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Originally Posted By: DocMark
If she had a "sent" box that saved all messages, we could easily see when/where it was sent, and track it down.

She has one... well, almost...
What she has is an "Outbox". If she sent that message and it has not been retrieved by anyone, it will be in that box. She can even see to whom it was sent and when. In my experience "lost" messages were often sent to the wrong person (e.g. one above or below the intended recipient in the user list). The only issue is that once the message has been opened by the recipient, it is normally deleted from the outbox.
And yeah, check deleted messages, too.

Reduce needless clicks!

Moderator:  Indy, JBS, Sandeep 
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 47 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters
Bert 11326
JBS 2510
Sandeep 2210
Wendell365 2193
ryanjo 2004
Leslie 2002
Wayne 1889
Indy 1744
Steven 1718
hockeyref 1673