Some of the symptoms of physician burnout include:
- Negativity or indifference toward patient care.
- Increased likelihood of medical care errors.
- Heightened feelings of cynicism or apathy.
- Looking at patients as a disease or a condition, and not as a person.
- Feeling of being on a treadmill without accomplishing anything.
- Becoming emotionally exhausted and withdrawn.
- Increased distance from partners, family members, friends and emotional support network.
Download our Knowledge Drop, which explores some of the reasons behind physician burnout, looks at ways of reducing stress in the office environment, and discusses using technology tools to improve doctor work-life balance.